Thursday, February 16, 2012

Walkies


Ron and I go for a walk together as often as we can, weather permitting. It's good exercise, and gives us a chance to explore our neighbourhood and to observe things that we would otherwise miss while driving past. Ron always carries a walking stick in case we are approached by an agressive dog. City by-laws don't permit dogs to run loose, but some people let them do so anyway, so it's best to be prepared.

But Ron finds the cane...er, walking stick, handy in other ways. For example, when I have to stop and tie my shoelace (curse those round laces; I must replace them with flat ones) I sometimes feel a sharp tap on my bottom, urging me to hurry so we can resume walking. While crossing the road, I may step in front of him, cutting him off, and he registers his displeasure with a smack of the cane on my posterior. Or if I'm lagging behind, he will use the stick as motivation to get a move on.

What pleases me most is that he's doing this where people can see. Not that there are many people outside in the cold weather, except for a few other walkers. But I like to think that there is someone sitting at a window, observing the passers-by, who sees a man swatting a woman on the backside, and then sees the woman laugh. And the watcher will frown or smile at what he has seen.


From Hermione's Heart

15 comments:

Spanky said...

I can't wait until I need a cane, so I can whack people when I get irritated.

Aimless Rambling said...

I like this post. I am a people watcher so I always notice those types of gestures and smile, always wishing it were me.

Sara said...

Wow, that couple I saw with the cane was you and Ron!? ;)

Sara

Susie said...

Heh, I bet you totally make someone's day every once in a while.

dancingbarez said...

I like when other people notice those things too. I just look at them and smile.

Anonymous said...

I believe you will never change your shoe laces (aside: don't women wear boots in winter where laces are not even needed), and what a wonderful reward for walking slowly...... I am certain you have a grin from ear to ear..lovely ppost
happy spankings
red

ronnie said...

Your post made me smile. I'd love to have been behind you.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Dragon's Rose said...

love walks like that!

Anonymous said...

How fun! :)

sixofthebest said...

Hermione, the cane I would select to spank a naughty lady, can be seen on the far left. It's swishyness, is ideal for alighting on a female's bare bottom.

Anonymous said...

Hermione, I love your blog.
I switched from shoe laces to velcro because my laces were always becoming untied. I'll have to go back to laces.

Kiki

Anonymous said...

I love to walk! Love the pic of the walking sticks, too.

Love,
Kitty

kiwigirliegirl said...

nice this made me smile :)
love and hugs kiwi xxx

ricky said...

Well, if I was watching, I think
I would've hurt myself.
Sigh . . .

Hermione said...

Spanky - You can have one even if you don't "need" one. It will make you look quite distinguished.

Sunnygirl - Thank you.

Sara - Yes, I'm afraid so!

Susie - I'd like to think that's true:)

Dancing - Welcome!

Red - There hasn't been enough snow to warrant wearing boots, so I have to put up with those awful laces.

Ronnie - Wouldn't that have been fun!

Rose - Me too!

Grace - Yes, it was.

6otb - The smallest, whippiest one? Ouch!

Kiki - Welcome and thank you!

Kitty - They aren't our sticks, but pretty close.

Kiwi - I'm glad.

Ricky - LOL!

Hugs,
Hermione